No matter what time of year, you can guarantee I’ll be having a warming bowl of oats for breakfast. But now that autumn is here, it’s time to whack out all the spices that I associate with this colder time of year. I’ve put together a few of my favourite autumn-inspired porridge bowls, featuring all of those classic winter combos and, hopefully, some new ones to jazz up your morning oats.
Classic Autumn Spiced oats:
Kicking it off with this porridge bowl full of all those beloved, warming autumn spices.
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Greek Yogurt to top
- Mix your preferred amount of oats with the three spices and a milk of your choice, and cook them how you normally would
- Top with a dollop of Greek yoghurt, a drizzle of honey and some nuts and you’re good to go.
Stewed Toffee Apple Oats
These oats were inspired by my favourite treat to have around this time of year – toffee apples! This is definitely my favorite out combo out of the five.
- Toffee Myprotein flavdrops
- Vanilla extract
- Slice the apples into chunks, and place in a saucepan with just enough water to cover the apples
- Add 10-12 toffee flavdrops, and some cinnamon and leave to simmer for around 5 minutes or until the apples are soft
- Make your oats and top with the toffee apples, I also added some honey.
Pumpkin Pie Oats
Like the classic American Thanksgiving dessert, but in oat form. If you like pumpkin infused with lots of lovely spices, this one will be right up your street.
- 2 tbsp Pumpkin puree
- Chia seeds
- 1.5 tsp of vanilla extract
- Mixed spice
- 1.5 – 2tbsp of maple syrup or honey
- optional toppings: raisins, mixed nuts & pumpkin seeds
- Mix your oats with the pumpkin puree, spices, milk, honey & flavdrops
- Cook your oats in your usual way
- Serve – I recommend topping your oats with anything chocolate, as the combo of pumpkin and chocolate is delightful.
Pecan and apple porridge
Pecan-topped porridge is so good, and with the addition of the sweetness from the honey and the crisp grated apples, this porridge combo works brilliantly.
- One apple
- Maple syrup to serve
- 8 Toffee flavdrops or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Grate half of the apple and place this in the bowl/saucepan along with your oats, milk, and flavdrrops
- Cook the oats is your preferred way
- Slice the other half of the apple into thin batons, and serve.
Gingerbread Baked Oatmeal:
Who says you can’t have gingerbread for brekkie? 😉 By baking these oats, it turns them into a cake-like texture…whats not to like?!
- Mixed spice
- vanilla extract
- One egg
- 1/2 a tsp of baking powder
- 10 Toffee Flavdrops
- Oats (I used 60g)
- Milk (enough to cover the oats)
- Grease an ovenproof dish with some coconut oil, and preheat your oven to 190 degrees
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in the dish
- Add the egg, milk, vanilla extract and toffee drops
- Place the oats in the oven and bake for between 30-40 minutes (or until golden, and firm on top).
I hope you’ve found something that you want to try,
Jazzy B ❤