Although very appetizing, Buddha bowls can be super expensive. So I’ve created this budget-friendly bowl so you can Buddha until your heart’s content 😉
Buddha bowls are all about the combination of lots of wholesome ingredients, giving you a dish with texture, colour, and flavour – and that’s what I love most about them. The main ingredients that constitute a buddha bowl include some form of protein, grains, and vegetables, but my advice is to tailor it to what you like, as you’ll enjoy it far more! It’s actually impossible to get bored of a Buddha bowl with the limitless number of flavour combos. Below are a few of my favourite bowls.
When I make these bowls, it’s always a question of how much I can actually pack in the bowl! They are a fab way to get in most of your 5-a-day and much-needed micronutrients…in fact, the whole bowl literally represents the ‘Eatwell plate’…#winning 😉
- Soya mince, brown rice, bulgur wheat, quinoa, couscous, buckwheat or barley.
- You could also make cauliflower/broccoli rice if you wanted a lower carb option.
- Lentils, egg, Quorn chicken, beans (kidney beans, black beans, butter beans etc), tofu, or seafood.
- Sweet potato, cucumber, tomatoes, spinach, courgette, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, red onion, mushrooms, beetroot, aubergine, and sprouts…if you’re feeling festive ;).
- Usually, some of the vegetables will be left raw such as tomatoes, cucumber, and carrots, to add to the texture.
- Also, you could make your own veg slaw.
- To add some sweetness to your bowl, things such as blueberries, mango, apples, and strawberries are a great choice.
- Toppings: sesame seeds, cashew nuts, feta, pumpkin seeds, croutons, parmesan flakes, olives, avocado slices, chia seeds, chives, spring onions.
- Spices/ herbs: chili flakes, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic, parsley.
- Sauces: houmous, BBQ sauce, tahini, light mayonnaise, light salad cream, light soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, sweet chili, sriracha – and there are so much more. But it also tasted just as good without the addition of these, as you can taste the flavors more.
I hope that the Buddha bowl becomes one of your weekly faves,
Jazzy B ❤